What is it?
The government keeps track on how many habitants live in each neighborhood which they compile a census record and municipal register in order to do so.
What is it useful for?
It is useful for many things including your NIE/TIE paperwork, pareja de hecho/getting married, applying for residency or social security and the list goes on. There is really no harm in getting it done because it is very quick and free.
Here is how to empadronarse in Madrid.
1. Go to Gestión de Citas through this link.
2. Select these services through the drop down menus provided.
Tipo de servicio: Atención a la ciudadanía.
Oficina: (This is where you choose the office either closest to you, if you aren’t in a rush to get the paperwork done, or the place that has the soonest appointment time.) For this example, I have chosen Moncloa.
3. Add all of your personal data for your selected appointment.
4. The following page you will confirm all the information and click “Crear Cita”.
5. And soon you will get a follow up email stating the time and place of your appointment.
What to bring:
-Original and copy of your passport or NIE/TIE card
-Original and copy of your renter’s contract*
-A completed Autorización de Empadronamiento form that you can get at this link.
*It has to state the date and duration of the lease, the leaser’s full name and identification number (NIF) and your full name and identification number.
Some people have been asked for a piece of mail such as a utilities bill to be presented with their name and address however those cases are rare in my experience.